background

Thursday, October 27, 2011

I "jumped in" to a burning ring of fire...and it burned burned burned ......................but here's the pizza dough recipe

We have a new tradition of making homemade pizzas...The kids have a BLAST making the dough.

Into the bread machine goes:

3 cups flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tea salt
1/2 cup room temp water
1 package active dry yeast

Set bread machine to "Dough" setting..and after and 1.5 hours the dough is technically ready; however, I let mine rise overnight in the refrigerator. So pizza making is a two day process.

The next night I have the kids roll out the dough.
Spray baking sheet with olive oil spray and spread out the rolled dough
The kids then"paint" the crust with a blend of olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasonings (oregano, parsley, basil).

Side Note: No crafting paintbrushes please! Get a few for the kitchen, they are super helpful for you and "fun" for the kids.

Bake the crust for 8 minutes at 400 degrees

Out of the hot oven and back onto the kids table.
MAKE SURE TO PUT POT-HOLDERS DOWN on the table
....and warn the kids incessantly about how hot the baking sheet is.

Add favorite toppings:

Grant's pizza was: sauce, pepperoni,and 3 cheese
Gwen: sauce (light), olives, and 2 cheeses
Adult's (well, mine) was :  NO SAUCE. Sauteed red onions, olives, fresh mozzarella, and roasted garlic. YUMMO.
Brent requested (he wasn't home yet) : sauce with double meat and triple cheese.
Totally.Heart.Healthy.

Back into the oven for another 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Here's where it all got bad:

About 2 seconds after I put the pizza's in, I'm washing my hands in the sink and I notice out of my peripheral vision a flash.

Inner monologue: Is the cheese dripping off and burning? Damn, I just cleaned the oven
Open oven door.
HOLY SHIT THERE'S AN OVEN MIT ON FIRE IN THERE!!

So, now I ask, what do you think I do?

Do I...

A) Grab the fire extinguisher that is conveniently located under my sink and bravely put out the oven fire, thereby demonstrating to my kids how to properly put out a fire using the PASS (Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep) technique from my Fire Extinguisher Training level 2 class?

OR

B) Do I reach into the bottom of the oven and grab the ON FIRE oven mitt and dump it into the sink and turn on the water to put it out?

That's right, folks, B is correct.

After the adrenaline rush had ceased (along with the flames from the oven mitt), I notice in the chaos of the moment that my hand is gushing blood from a cut I somehow endured during the "save the pizza and the house" moment of "bravery".
HAVE.NO.IDEA. about that one...

Although the oven mitt looked like this:


I noticed the fire early enough that the pizza somehow survived (as did my hand and MOST of my arm hair).

So we went on with our night and ate our yummy pizza, ,while I attempted to use the experience to teach Grant and Gwen that touching fire is B.A.D.

Lessons learned:

1) Count  or at least be aware of how many oven mitts you are using during the pizza making process and therefore notice if one is sticking to the bottom of the cookie sheet PRIOR to putting the pizza into the oven to  cook the toppings.

2) Perhaps I should have paid more attention during "Fire Extinguisher Training Level II " instead of to the fireman teaching the class?

3) and on a serious note, I noticed that even with all of that smoke our fire alarm in the family room didn't go off and our batteries were dead. CHECK.BATTERIES.MONTHLY in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors people.

Pour wine.

1 comment: