background

Monday, January 16, 2012

One Lonely Leftover Squash--What to do??

So, what did YOU do on your day off?

I sat in the dentist chair for 2 hours, attempting to meditate about what to make with my one lonely leftover butternut squash..

.... as she poked, prodded and cracked open my tooth, explaining to me that the reason why my filling cracked was MY fault because I grind my teeth.

Whatever. Fix it right the first time, I say!

Fun Morning.

Pinterest had a nice recipe for Butternut Squash Rice Pilaf which I still want to make....but I decided to make yummy and healthy Butternut Squash Rolls.

This is a bit of a "Sneaky Chef" recipe, using pureed vegetables, though the recipe I used was from Allrecipes.com

These rolls are delicious--not too sweet--..and a fun way to use a lonely leftover butternut squash---or all of you moms out there..if you've made got leftover butternut squash homemade puree in your freezer, pull out a cup for the recipe!

Here's how they looked after cooking:


 Here's my "helper" sampling some left over puree:





Now, before I get to the recipe, truth be told:
I LOVE butternut squash, and I could have used more of a butternut squash taste in the rolls..
 They are DELICIOUS, don't get me wrong, but I wanted more of a BANG! There's the squash! When I tasted them. 

It was more of a "Wow, these are nice" when I tasted them.
However, I still wanted to pass along the recipe, because if you have any picky eater kids...or husbands...you may want to give these a try.

Super yummy warmed with some butter...and dare I say it?
A little cinnamon sugar on the butter...just a dusting...

Don't judge!
They HAVE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR and a WHOLE SQUASH in them....they are STILL HEALTHY.

Butternut Squash Yeast Rolls
1 TBS active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115)
1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup warm fat free milk 
(I used 2% because that's what I had)--105-115 degrees (um, I microwaved my milk for 30 seconds and called it good)
1 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash (1 decent sized squash, cubed, and boiled till soft, then I pureed it in my Cusinart yields a little over a cup)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour

1) In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, let stand for 5 minutes

2)Stir in milk, squash, butter, brown sugar and salt

3)Add whole wheat flour, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

4)Stir in enough all purpose flour to form a soft dough.

5)Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes (um, yeah, so I just used my hook attachment on my Kitchen-aid for ten minutes on medium speed).

6)Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour
(what I do is I turn on my oven to 200 degrees..then I turn it off and then let the dough rise in the warm (NOT ON) oven)

7)Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide into 20 pieces.
8) Shape each piece into a ball

9) Place 2 in apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
10)Cover and let rise again for 45 min (same thing--warm oven trick)
11) Bake at 400 degrees for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
12) Remove from pans to a wire rack.


Enjoy with a nice dinner or as a snack...as Grant just ate 2 of them while I am typing this.





No comments:

Post a Comment