background

Friday, January 6, 2012

My News Years Resolution: Live Well, Laugh often, Wine More........Flat Iron Steaks with Red Wine Sauce

Picture of Flat Iron Steak with Red Wine Sauce Recipe

Who likes to cook with wine?


(Raising hands...all together now..."I DO!!")






Last night, I used a Firestone Merlot Reserve vintage 2002 to make my red wine sauce for the Flat Iron Steaks


(and yes, this was THE SIGNED bottle for all of you Bachelor fans who watched the season where he chose Northeast Ohio native Jen Scheft)...


Side note:  I didn't really hesitate opening the SIGNED bottle because I wanted a Merlot for the sauce and this was the only bottle I had in the house....AND Our best friends in Santa Barbara live right next door to Andrew Firestone and I figured if I wanted another bottle signed, I'd just ask him next time we were up there.  


I have to say, the 9 years of aging really worked well for this vintage...it was delish and I felt bad using 2 cups of it in the recipe.


Note to self: Keep a bottle of Two Buck Chuck Merlot on hand for cooking.






Flat Iron Steaks with Red Wine Sauce
Recipe and photo courtesy Giada De Laurentiis



Ingredients

  • 2 (1-pound) flat iron steaks 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
  • 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 cups dry red wine

Directions

Prepare the bbq (medium-high heat). ---I used a cast iron skillet mostly because when I go outside, my neurotic dog thinks my sole purpose for this is to throw the damn tennis ball to her NON stop and she proceeds to yap her mouth off in a very high pitched bark incessantly which adds to the mayhem and craziness that IS our 5:00-6:30 every night.
Sigh.Deep Breath.
Continuing:
Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.  Not.For.Me. I cooked longer....I like a tough of pink in the center...
Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes. MUST let meat "bleed out"--according to my husband.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy largsaucepan over medium-high heat. 
Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. 
Season with salt. 
Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine.
 Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. 
Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. 
Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Divide the steak slices among 6 plates. Drizzle the sauce over the steak, drizzle a little more extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

I served this with a side of Red pepper Quinoa....
Recipe: Follow instructions after purchasing from Vons.

I also served it with a side of Steamed Parmesan Cauliflower
Recipe:
Steam Cauliflower until just done (NOT MUSH people!)
Add some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some Parm Cheese. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper. 
SOOOO yummy.

And finally, as I reflect on my New Years Resolution.... Pour Wine.

2 comments:

  1. Delish! Always cook with a good bottle of wine! Totally makes the difference! Nice NY Resolution ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Ray says that if you don't want to drink it, you shouldn't cook with it!

    ReplyDelete